Sunday, April 10, 2011

Baking, Baking, and More Baking

This past week I was able to do something I love to do...bake!  And boy, did I do some baking!  I made cookies and cupcakes for a wedding shower at my fiancée's school.  After several long nights in the kitchen, the end product was well worth the lack of sleep.

My first endeavor, was to make sugar cookies...cream cheese sugar cookies!  De-lish!!!  Probably my all-time favorite cookie.  I can't help but think back to Gran's kitchen when making sugar cookies.  The countless hours we spent in the kitchen together when I was a child laid the foundation for my love of baking.  Now, when I make sugar cookies for myself, this is how I prefer them...
Just like Gran and I used to make them...lot of sprinkles!!!  Now, sprinkles wasn't exactly the look I was going for, so I opted for royal icing and lots of hand piping.  While my poor hand was exhausted from decorating all these cookies, I was really proud of how they turned out.


Now, on to the cupcakes.  I decided that I wanted to make two kinds.  First, I made yellow cupcakes with buttercream icing piled on the top.  Since the colors for the wedding shower were white and purple, I tinted the icing to what I felt was the perfect shade of purple.
Finally, I finished it all off with my red velvet cupcakes, complete with cream cheese icing.  I decided to keep these simple and tie in the colors by adding fondant flowers to the top.
Seriously, the hard work I put in all week was well worth the reaction I got from the guest of honor.  Mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment