Saturday, September 20, 2014

Iced Oatmeal Cookies

Last Saturday was the perfect morning to just get in the kitchen and start baking.  A cool (I hesitate to use the word cold…I mean, seriously, it’s still September in Texas) front had just rolled in, it was overcast, and to me, it really felt like a fall morning.  I just couldn’t resist the urge to fill the house with the smell of cinnamon and nutmeg and further reinforce that fall feeling I had.  Recently, I’ve been pinning a million and one dessert recipes, so I decided to flip through them to see what sounded good.  When I came across a recipe for iced oatmeal cookies, I couldn’t pass it up.  They looked and sounded so good, not to mention I had all the ingredients to make them (that might have had a little something to do with me picking them).  So Haylen and I went to work…

2014-09-13 10.59.01-1 

Waiting patiently for our cookies to come out of the oven.  She loved checking on our cookies.

2014-09-13 11.08.21

“Hey Mommy!  Look at my hat!”  What’s baking without a few shenanigans from my silly girl! 

2014-09-13 11.23.08

These iced oatmeal cookies turned out amazing! 

2014-09-14 20.55.40-2

They were such a big hit in our house, I’ll share the recipe so that you all can try them too!

 

Iced Oatmeal Cookies

Original recipe found here at Mother Thyme

 

Ingredients:

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon balking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon gound nutmeg

1 cup butter (softened)

1 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-Pulse rolled oats in a food processor for about 10 seconds or until coarse

-Mix oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.  I like to whisk all these ingredients together.

-Cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.

-Add in eggs (one at a time) and vanilla.

-Gradually add in the flour mixture and mix until combined.

-Roll dough into balls (I used a tablespoon to measure out the dough) and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Make sure they are about 2 inches apart. 

-Bake for 10-12 minutes

-Cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire baking rack to cool.

 

Glaze

Ingredients:

2 cups confectioners sugar

3 tablespoons milk

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I added this for a little extra flavor)

 

-Using a whisk, mix confectioners sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.  Taste the icing to see if you need to add the full 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla…this is simply based on your taste. 

-Once cookies are cooled, dip the tops of the cookies into the glaze.

-Put cookies back on drying rack until icing sets.

 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment